Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is it getting easier or am I getting delusional?

We are inching closer and closer to finishing Week 1. And as evidenced this morning, my body isn't inching closer to anything!

Today was Yoga. Yes, it was a complete change of pace from the last three days in that I wasn't sweating in my 47-degree garage this morning. However, no climate, warm or cold, could aid my flexibility or lack thereof. Watching the people on TV contort themselves into positions that would make an S&M freak foam at the mouth was difficult enough. Trying to mirror them was downright painful. Painful and awkward.
Let me take a moment to introduce you to our trainer, Tony Douchebag, or as he's known to the rest of the world, Tony Horton:

Unfortunately, in the yoga workout, it's essential to listen to this guy yammer on and on the whole time because we have no friggin' clue what we're doing. The DVD didn't even have a "turn-off-the-DB" option. Did I mention the yoga workout is a FULL 90 MINUTES?!? The best was at the end when he had us in "lotus" position and was ohm-ing and invited us to ohm right along with him. The music geek in me, of course, had to play around with this and decided to harmonize with the ohms to create a much more soothing and musical sound....except it made me laugh a little too much for it to be a truly peaceful moment...particularly for my partner, I'm sure.
I will say this: waking up at 5:30am is becoming frighteningly easy. It might be because I'm going to bed between 9-10 every night, but regardless, I'm enjoying it so far. I'm also enjoying my morning slices of microwaved turkey bacon. No really. Turkey bacon is not so bad. But let me tell you what is bad: veggie dogs.
These are the ones I got:
Whoever invented these things must be shot...and whoever wrote "Same Great Taste" must be fed three packs of these before being shot himself because he clearly never tried one. I have eaten a total of 6...scratch that...I have choked down a total of 6 "Smart Dogs" (which, in my opinion, should be renamed "You're-a-complete-dumba$$-for-buying-these-and-thinking-they'll-taste-anything-like-hotdogs-Dogs") and I have buried them forever. Not just for Lent, which hasn't even started yet. Forever. Oh, and not literally like in my backyard either, I'm just gonna throw them away. And before any of you say, "You should have known better" or "I told you so", I want to know if you've ever actually had one yourself because "It just sounds gross" doesn't cut it in the health food department CUZ IT ALL SOUNDS GROSS!

Which leads me to my next lunch item:
That's right folks. Nonfat Plain Yogurt. Why not call it what it is..."Rancid Barf in a Bowl". Seriously. Now you're probably asking yourselves, "Chad. Why don't you add some blueberries to it to give it some flavor?" The answer to that question is: I only get ONE fruit serving a day and if you recall, my daily banana (when not consumed before workout and "discarded" during) is eaten at breakfast time. That is, until today. Today I took my banana to work and cut it into many pieces and dumped it into the 8oz of plain nonfat yogurt in a vain attempt to overcome the nasty taste of live cultures changing even the consistency of this product right before my very eyes. Did it help? Only slightly, but just enough for me to do it one more time tomorrow when I empty out that tub at lunch and find something at the store to replace it with that won't have me plugging my nose while swallowing the biggest spoonfuls possible. Maybe next time I'll check the expiration date too. HA!
If I may respond to a couple things Laura wrote in her last blog.
1) Yes, stairs yesterday were extremely difficult. My soreness takes about a day to hit me. Since Tuesday was all that kangaroo business, my legs were about dead yesterday. And since yesterday's workout was arms and shoulders, I, too, am having a hard time putting my hair behind my ears.
2) Laura wasn't making it up. I WAS the one screaming during Ab Ribber X! I'm pretty sure if I hadn't already woken up the neighborhood from the freeweight stuff earlier, my shrieks of pain later should have at least caused one neighbor to call the police on suspicion of torture occurring in my garage. Just call my place 'Gitmo'.... "Gitmo-sweat-in-my-eyes" is more like it.
And one final thought: With drinking a couple liters of water a day and especially after plyometrics on Tuesday and another leg workout coming up tomorrow, I'm thrilled to be a guy!
chad

7 comments:

  1. So I'm coming out of my (5 year) blogging closet to comment on this... I'm quite excited to read of your triumphs with P90x. I've seen the infomercial and heard stories from the VanDykes and I think it sounds like a ton of fun (seriously). We're training for a half marathon, though, so its out for us.

    I'm curious to follow your progress on the diet portion... Dave and I tried the whole high protein, low carb thing (we did Body For Life a few years ago). Was not successful for us. Higher carb is more successful for me, which also goes along with the whole "Eat Right for your blood type" diet. I have A+ blood which = higher carb, low protein, nearly vegetarian. High protein diets would be for type O according to that book. So just some food for thought... my personal observations matched the recommendations on the back of the book.

    Also - have you given up eating before working out? I NEVER eat before working out. I have read many times that you should, but since I get up at 4:45 to be at the gym by 5:15, I refuse to eat first. Besides, I would not want somehting in my gut while I was running. So I'm wondering if you'd be okay without it...

    Impressed so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad I have to give you props for choking down 6 veggie dogs. Any meat that claims the name "veggie" in it's title is enough to keep me far away. More props for eating the plain non fat yogurt. You know i use plain yogurt in place of sour cream? I can't imagine the thought of eating it plain. If you want your active cultures maybe try Yakult. You can buy it in the yogurt section at Safeway. They are yummy little drinks full of cultures.

    Healthy eating can actually be quite delicious! If you buy the packaged goods you will gag most every time. The challenge is learning to cook for yourself so that you can prepare yummy foods that will satisfy. I am not much of a cook these days, I leave most of the healthy cooking up to Abby. Since she loves it, why not let her do it? I have come to love health food over fattening food. I just feel better when I eat healthy. Though I love a good cheeseburger and sloppy cheesy gooey lasagna from time to time too. :c)

    So far I'm loving P90X! It's a challenge to press play each day and to stick with it but I am not giving up. Strangely....I love the pain too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just how did pushing play go for you tonight, Sarah?

    Bling Bling, thanks for coming out today. Thanks for the info on the blood type thing, I'll check it out. The p90x nutrition plan is one that adjusts a little every 4 weeks or so and can be tweaked based on your performance level. I'll keep you posted on all that stuff.
    cm

    ReplyDelete
  4. And just why do you ask? Is it because you already know how pressing "play" went for me on Yoga night and you just want to glory in my shame? (I'm giving you the stink eye) Or is it because you truly don't know? If it's the latter, allow me to explain.

    I BOMBED. 30 minutes into the work out my head started aching, then pounding. My stomach started to feel pukey and the room was doing one of those spinning routines. My pride told me to keep going, be tough, don't be a wimp. However, my body told my pride to shove it and i quit after 30 minutes. Directly after quitting I prostrated myself on the couch for a good 1/2 hour and iced my throbbing neck which was causing the headache. I still have a headache which I blame on those ridiculous stretches in the video. My neck is not able to handle so much stretching and up and down motion. Before you think of me as a wimp you should know I had a neck injury when I was a kid and I've had problems ever since. So I am limited at what activity I can do. The yoga was way too much on me. I'll know next week to take it easier and to modify when necessary.

    Today was not much better. I left for work at 6:45 AM and did not get home until 8:45 PM. I barely have enough time to eat and digest before I have to head to bed. I must work at 6 AM tomorrow morning so no P90X for me tonight. This means that what would be my day of rest (Sunday) will instead be my makeup day for what I missed today. Or I will have to pull double duty on Sat and do Friday's and Sat's work out. In any case... Shucks!

    I'm determined to see this thing through to the end. You won't find me quitting. My pride won't allow it. I've done tough work outs before, this one is not much different.

    Happy Weekend!

    SL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a comment about doubling up on workouts... be careful! My schedule has been quite busy (whose isn't, right?) so I've had to skip a couple of workouts. I went skiing instead of the leg workout and had a volleyball game instead of plyometrics, fair trade right? Anyway, I missed the shoulders and arms one day and tried to do it before yoga the next day. Bad idea! Arms and shoulders went fine, but "downward dog" turned into "smashy face" and everytime Tony DB told me to do a pushup I involuntarily launched into a string of obscenities aimed at my television. Props to you guys for doing your workouts in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the warning Tom. I decided not to double up after all. Legs and back plus Ab Ripper X was enough for me on Saturday. I wish I could do my workouts in the morning like Chad and Laura. That would require me starting the work out around 3am. NO WAY is that going to happen! I wake early enough as it is. I'm an evening workout kind of person. Fits my schedule MUCH better.

    ReplyDelete